Diabetes can affect any person, but gestational diabetes can occur during the time of pregnancy, and does not matter if a woman has had diabetes previously or not. It affects the sugar-producing cells like any other normal diabetes.
Gestational diabetes not only increases the chances of having a serious type 2 problem of diabetes, but it also increases the problem in the baby’s body.
Diabetes can be managed during pregnancy with proper care and diet. The article will cover things that will help you save yourself and your baby from gestational diabetes through different breakfast ideas.
How proper diet can help in managing diabetes
Pregnant women crave different things during their pregnancy days and the health of women depended on their eating schedule, especially when they are suffering from gestational diabetes.
Food consumed by pregnant women can either worsen or improve their condition.
A balanced diet is not necessary only to manage diabetes, but also for good health. Women can avoid medication if they are having a good diet, and they can also follow a good diet with some medications.
A dietitian can help you better to understand how food can affect diabetes in your body to make a proper diet chart.
Also Check : Top 10 Yoga Asanas to Manage Diabetes
Foods to eat and foods to avoid:
These types some foods that can help in managing gestational diabetes, and some can make it worse:-
Foods to eat:
- Lean protein: A good breakfast or diet full of protein not only helps to baby grow but also makes you feel full most of the time. Chicken or egg type of none vegetarian foods are good source of protein, which women need go fight with this condition. A good for can also help in reducing the sickness in morning.
- Vegetables with no starch: Low or non starchy vegetables like broccoli, cucumber, and leafy green, peppers are full of vitamins and minerals. These foods are also lower in carbs and calories, which is beneficial to your health.
- Healthy fat: Fats that are polyunsaturated and monounsaturated are not only good for your health but also make you feel full the whole day, which can stop some extra snack cravings. Foods like avocados, olive oil, and nuts contain good fat and can help in managing diabetes.
Try to make a stock of healthy snacks, or you can also go for frozen ones to avoid eating instant, harmful snacks during pregnancy. When you are fully prepared so avoiding extra foods becomes a little easier than normal. Always keep hydration giving things in your hands, like clear water, lemon juice, or cucumber slices.
Foods to avoid:
Doctors can give the best suggestions about foods to avoid because they know how much food you require and how much diabetes is present in your body They usually suggest eating a diet with low carbs. Eating more carbs and sugar can automatically increase the sugar level during pregnancy or without pregnancy.
Foods like white rice, starchy vegetables, fruits, potatoes, and processed foods, include simple carbs. Try to avoid cookies, chocolates, or cakes for little cravings because they can work like sweet poison for a gestational diabetic patient.
Read New Treatment Ideas: Cure Diabetes With Nutritional and By Lifestyle Tips
Breakfast Ideas for Gestational Diabetes
The first meal of the day is very important for a pregnant woman who is suffering from gestational diabetes. These are some unique and beneficial breakfast ideas to try:-
- Nut butter with sliced berries and wheat toast: Whole wheat contains a complex type of carbohydrate and the protein of nut can make you feel full for a long time. Berries make the food tasty by adding a little sweetness to it. You can also use avocado instead of nuts.
- Breakfast smoothie: Banana smoothie is a choice for lots of people. When you combine Greek yoghurt and sweet berries, you get a super healthy milkshake. It will give you good fat and protein, with a good taste of berries. You can add some almonds or chia seeds to make it tastier and healthier.
- Veggie omelets: Add onions, broccoli, and other types of veggies to your omelets to make it healthier. It’s a breakfast full of protein, and you can also eat it sometimes as a snack. It’s a way of adding some veggies to your daily snacks without making them unhealthier.
- Low carb: You can replace normal flour with almond flour. You can use that flour to make different food or dishes that you usually make in your breakfast. You can make food like waffles, muffins, scones, and much more because they are good for maintaining a low-carb diet.
- Banana Shushi: Banana is always a good choice to make our stomach feel full and to feel the energy in the body. You can spread peanut or almond butter on top of the banana to make it delicious. You can also add chia seeds to it. You can also use berries instead of bananas to eat something lower carb.
Also Check: Nutrition Facts of Fruits
Aside from a healthy diet, what else can you do?
Now we know what things we can add to our first meal of the day to make our diet healthier from starting. A good diet can help to manage the diabetes level, but it is not the only choice to do to treat gestational diabetes. You can add yoga, aerobics, or stationary cycling to your day for better improvement after taking permission from your specialist.
Don’t forget to monitor the sugar level in your blood the whole day, and also try to save yourself from after-meal spikes. Check how your blood sugar responds to certain foods, medications, or activities you do. Try to avoid medications as much as possible, but if nothing is working for you, so you can go for expert help.
Gestational diabetes can become a stressful situation, especially when you are a pregnant woman. You can make this condition a little less severe with the right diet, so your baby also can grow without any problem. Stick to your doctor’s advice, eat healthily, and keep yourself motivated for yourself and your small baby’s health.